RulesDuJour (mildly OT)

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Jun 19 22:04:08 IST 2006

Daniel Maher wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Though I realise this is the MailScanner list, I was wondering if
> anybody out there was using RulesDuJour?

I do.
 I’ve got it installed and
> working properly, in that it downloads the Rules as expected, however
> where it /places/ the rules is somewhat inconvenient.  Instead of
> putting them into the directory which spamassassin expects:
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/ , it places them into a sub-directory from
> there: /etc/mail/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/ .

Those are only temp files where RDJ performs its initial downloads.

After the rules successfully pass spamassassin --lint, they should be copied to
/etc/mail/spamassassin. This acts as a fail safe against installing a corrupted
download or bugged ruleset.

Are you sure RDJ is not copying them into /etc/mail/spamassassin after a
successful run?

Note: RDJ keeps the temp files as a record to itself of what it last downloaded.
So don't expect them to go away. It copies them to /etc/mail/spamassassin, it
does not move them.

> I could just edit the RulesDuJour script (for example), but it
> auto-updates itself, meaning every time the script changed, I’d have to
> edit it again.  There are, of course, numerous other possible options; I
> am curious as to what solution the MailScanner community has found to be
> the “cleanest”.

No need to edit it. It should be working correctly. Check to make sure it's not.
Odds are RDJ is working fine.