Checking Suspected E-Mails

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Jun 19 17:39:04 IST 2006

Thanks for the advise. I'm requesting the resumes be sent in text format.

________________________________

From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Rick Chadderdon
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 12:21 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: Checking Suspected E-Mails

It's not the html that's a problem there, it's the filename.  I can't think of a
legitimate reason that anyone would name their resume with a CLSID string in the
filename, at least not any reason that doesn't assume some specialized,
prearranged setup on the receiving end.  In any case, the problem it described
in more detail here:

http://secunia.com/advisories/10736/

I've found that it's best to request that resumes be sent in plain ASCII text
format.  It helps me learn whether candidates can A. Follow directions.  (Many
can't.  I still end up getting at least a quarter, and sometimes more than half
of all resumes sent to me in Word, Word Perfect, HTML - you name it - formats.)
B.  Create a compelling resume without resorting to pretty tricks.

Rick

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

The report that I am seeing is the following:

MailScanner: Files containing  CLSID's are trying to hide their real type
(TIBOR_BERNER{3EDC67F9-93A4-42C3-AEC1-502D90D9A895}.html)

If the resumes were sent as HTML files, it is possible they are innocuous.
Still, it probably would be better to have the sender resend them in a format

other than HTML. Your thoughts?