Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Fri Jun 9 21:20:53 IST 2006

Alex Neuman writes:

>> None, zilch.. we do not tune SA at all (i compile rpms from the  stock
>> tar.gz distro).. moreover we add tonnes of SARE rules to it.  If using a
>> dedicated server for MySQL based Bayes is tuning, then  yes we do tuning.
>> From that POV, we use djbdns' dnscache for the  local caching-nameserver,
>> which helps Net::DNS tremendously. Also  thanks to the prolocation chaps,
>> we rsync SURBL for local use..
>>

> Is using djbdns' dnscache better performance-wise than running Bind  in
> caching mode? I know this probably sounds dumb but since Bind w/ caching
> is installed by default on most rh-based linux distros I've  never
> bothered to do djbdns...

i can't really say which one is better.. i seem to like dnscache's
performance and can keep it on a leash (from a resource perspective, see the
wiki entry). Another reason being that i come from a qmail shop and have
always been comfortable with dnscache (never gave bind+caching_ns a chance
except for authoritative nameservers).

 - dhawal