lock type

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 10:21:06 IST 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Arthur Sherman wrote:

> [David Lee had written:]
> > I'm leaving the MailScanner.conf 'Lock Type' blank.  (Correct?)  The
> > comment there says:
> >    # How to lock spool files.
> >    # Don't set this unless you *know* you need to.
> >    # For sendmail, it defaults to "posix".
> >    # For sendmail 8.12 and older, you will probably need to
> > change it to flock,
> >    # particularly on Linux systems.
> >    # For Exim, it defaults to "posix".
> >    # No other type is implemented.
> >    Lock Type =
> >
> > so I would expect it to use "posix".  (Correct?)
> >
> > But watching /var/log/maillog I see:
> >    ... MailScanner[10490]: Using locktype = flock
>
> Just leave it blank.
>
> In a case of sendmail flock type will be used.

But that's incorrect, isn't it?  Could you check the reasoning below?

o  Given:  This system is FC5 with sendmail 8.13.6. (MS 4.54.6).

o  MailScanner.conf has:
      MTA = sendmail
      Lock Type =

o  Therefore, according to the comments, this should result in "posix".

o  "posix" is, indeed, the desired and expected outcome for this system
   (isn't it?).

o  BUT "maillog" is reporting
      ... MailScanner[26259]: Using locktype = flock

The comments say I should end up with "posix".  Maillog says I'm getting
"flock".  So something somewhere (possibly including my understanding!) is
incorrect.

Help!

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :