Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Res res at ausics.net
Thu Jun 8 09:03:36 IST 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Logan Shaw wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Res wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Arthur Sherman wrote:
>
>>> Who should do RBL checks: MailScanner or SpamAssassin?
>
>> Neither, the MTA should do it.
>
> That depends on your policy on what you do with spam.  Do you
> tag it, or do you delete it?  At my site, we have basically
> a no-delete policy; spams are tagged and passed through.
> This approach gives the users more work (have to set up a
> filter) but more control.

I'd rather prevent the known spammers connecting, we also use DUL lists as
well, apart from SORBS listing hotmail, Ive never in many many many years
had a single problem, most users are glad to be protected (as best we can)
from scum.

On the smaller use machines where we use MS with SA, we have low scoring
of 3 tag, and high scoring of 12 delete it.

--
Cheers
Res