sophos v5 updating

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Tue Jun 6 21:36:40 IST 2006

Mark Nienberg schrieb:
> On the Sophos download website I see that v5 download file is 50Mb,
> while v4 is only 12Mb. I suppose that is because v5 has on-access
> scanning capability,

and a gui (sav-web), ...

> If I use v5 will I have to download a 50Mb engine update every month?

no.
sophos v5 has its own update mechanism.
see "roots crontab"  or  "/usr/lib/MailScanner/sophos-autoupdate"
`/opt/sophos-av/bin/savupdate`

# du -sh /opt/sophos-av/update/
29M     /opt/sophos-av/update/

fc3 -> fc4 update (amd) after several kernel updates
  == installed once a few months ago, no problems, sav 5.x is up2date
fc5 (amd64) after several kernel updates
  == installed once a few months ago, no problems, sav 5.x is up2date

> Although I have sophos EM library running for my windows workstations,

the same here.

> I'd prefer the mail server to update itself rather than relying on a
> windows machine.

just my thoughts.

> What is everyone else doing?

- em library (primary);  http://es-web.sophos.com/ (secondary)
  win clients

- sophos v5 update  -  http://es-web.sophos.com/ (primary)
  linux servers,  sav 5.x
  mobile clients (win, mac, linux),  sav 4.x/5.x
  workgroups without windows-server/em-library

--
shrek-m