Instructions for FreeBSD

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Mon Jun 5 19:17:33 IST 2006

DAve wrote:
> Mike Jakubik wrote:
>> DAve wrote:
>>>
>>> The issue it not whether your package works but whether your package
>>> installs in the same manner as other FreeBSD software. I use non
>>> FreeBSD installs all the time, you will find most FreeBSD admins
>>> have no problem with non FreeBSD installs.
>>
>> Having used FreeBSD since 2.x days, i would have to disagree with
>> you. I dislike installing anything from source, as it usually creates
>> a mess, and is harder to do maintenance on, things such as portaudit
>> do not work, etc, etc...
>>

> I can only go back to 3.1, still have a passle of 3.5 CDs though ;^) I
> made the same argument from your side of the fence for quite a while,
> then I had to maintain a RedHat machine and a Debian machine. My
> attitude changed significantly. Packages/RPMs/Ports/whatever of any
> flavor are the Devils right hand IMO. I am using them now on the
> MailScanner servers only as a Disaster Recovery method. If I meet a
> disaster, someone could manage a security upgrade during my funeral.
>
> I have servers that clients "need" PHP4, but another client "must
> have" PHP5. Do you add a new web server for a single hosting account?
> Add a third for the client who needs Apache 2.x? Turn away clients?
> Ports will not let you install conflicts. Worse is when sales brings
> in a new client with an existing site and all it's dependencies.
>
> Were it my own server, maybe I would agree with you, but having a NOC
> filled with web servers running different OSs at different versions, I
> prefer source. Granted source removes the ability to use the ports
> tools, but it also removes their limitations.
>
> This would be a religious discussion I think.

Of course everyone uses what works for them, however you're presenting a
specific situation in which you need to install conflicting software,
this would create a problem for any packaging system. Although some
ports support different versions of the same application, such as
apache. However i don't see how that problem applies to MS.