Instructions for FreeBSD

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 15:11:31 IST 2006

On 5 Jun 2006, at 12:33, DAve wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>> Is my ClamAV+SA package useless on FreeBSD?
>
> Not at all.
>
>> If so, why, and is there anything easy I could do to fix it?
>> It's just that it does all sorts of other tweaks and settings for
>> you, as well as just build and install the packages.
>
> The issue it not whether your package works but whether your
> package installs in the same manner as other FreeBSD software. I
> use non FreeBSD installs all the time, you will find most FreeBSD
> admins have no problem with non FreeBSD installs.
>
>> I guess I could just document all the tweaks it does on the wiki.
>> Is that actually the best solution?
>
> You could simply make your installer script FreeBSD aware and
> everything would be fine. Jan would be the man to talk to, as he
> maintains the FreeBSD port he already knows what needs to be where
> for a FreeBSD system.

Okay, I will contact Jan-Peter, and find out what should be where.

> Note, upgrading from 4.38 to 4.54.6 showed a marked speed
> improvement. My processing speed jumped up in MailScanner-mrtg on
> the minute I restarted MailScanner, literaly, it is 10x faster.
> Thanks!

The speed improvements all came together at version 4.50. I should
have done a version number jump then and gone to version 5.00, but at
the time I didn't think it was right. The speedup was pretty big!

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.