[Clamav-users] Problem with internal logger

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 17:11:07 IST 2006

On 2 Jun 2006, at 16:50, Anthony Peacock wrote:
> I really am trying not to sound like a grumpy old man here, but I
> do feel that running an internet connected mail server is something
> that should be done by a person with a basic understanding of what
> is going on.

This is one of the few subjects which will get me ranting. So don't
get me started :-)

<sermon>
My position is that we all have to start learning somewhere. We also
have a duty to get more people running software that protects
themselves and everyone else from the hazards of spam, viruses, etc.
I also feel strongly that we should encourage newbies to stick with
it, by producing software that is as easy as possible to get going as
possible. Most newcomers to Unix/Linux/whatever are very wary as they
are on new ground, and have the assumption that it is all so much
harder than Windows.

Try getting a company to install their very first Unix box when all
they have ever used is Windows. There is good money to be made here
doing system management for them as they admit that they don't know
what they are doing and everything is going to break leaving their
company with no electronic communication at all. Many companies who
suffer a complete failure of their email system for any length of
time do not recover. This stuff costs people real money, their jobs,
everything. If we don't put lots of effort into making their life as
easy as possible, they will never even start learning: they will
stick with what they are used to.

Why do you think so many people have used Microsoft's SQL Server
instead of DB2 or Oracle for small company systems? It's partly
because you can put the CD in the drive, click on the setup icon and
end up with a working database system. The last time I used DB2 or
Oracle, there were fundamental bugs in their install scripts that
meant that it all just broke outside of the USA. I know which one I
would go for: the one that works out of the box.
</sermon>

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.