A quick and easy performance improvement

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Wed Jul 26 22:23:03 IST 2006

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> I don't think thats very true. Most systems that are setup with a
> single / partition are done so by the clueless. Separating your
> partitions gives you a number of advantage including protection from
> disk space starvation, and increased performance when they are
> strategically laid out.

I believe the last statement to be somewhat inaccurate. Most systems set
up by the clueless are set up not with a single / partition, but with a
single C:\ partition ;-) - although, to be honest, I set up 90% of my
systems using one big /, one small /boot, and 2x-4x RAM for swap. I
*did* acquire a clue some time ago, it isn't much, but it's served me
well the past couple of years.
> Hard drives can transfer data much more quickly from outer tracks than
> they can from inner tracks.  To take advantage of this you should try
> to pack your smaller file systems and swap closer to the outer tracks,
> follow with the larger file systems,  and end with the largest file
> systems.

Unless you're moving billions of messages per second (I know, I know, I
*am* exaggerating), the improvements are marginal. Sounds like when
someone asked me the other day what the difference was between, say, a
2Ghz Celeron vs. a 2Ghz P4 on otherwise identical machines. My answer?
Your word processor will take 2-3 seconds less to load. Otherwise you
won't know the difference. For "ordinary" work, the performance
difference can be negligible in many circumstances.
> Separate partitions also allow different mount options, and in the
> event of data loss due to power outages, etc, it is more likely that
> the system will still come up, making it easier for you to restore
> from backup as necessary.
Of course, you *do* try to keep backups good enough for a bare-metal
restore anyways, right? And a rescue cd? There is an expression in
Spanish, "cada maestro con su librito", which roughly translates to
"every teacher brings his own little book". To each his own, I guess.

> Finally some operating system such as FreeBSD automatically optimize
> the layout of files on a file system, depending on how the file system
> is being used. So a file system that contains many small files that
> are written frequently will have a different optimization to one that
> contains fewer, larger files. By having one big file system this
> optimization breaks down.

That means it's not automatic, then, right? ;-)
> Of course one should always size the partitions according to
> requirements.

Disclaimer: This message is not to be construed as flamebait, trollbait,
or disrespect. I'm just trying to contribute my 2c. Now where's that
asbestos suit when you need it?...