Orphaned processing directory

Hancock, Scott HancockS at morganco.com
Wed Jul 26 18:37:59 IST 2006

> Hi
>
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Hancock, Scott wrote:
>
> > I have a directory containing 60 files in
> /var/spool/MailScanner/input
> >
> > The directory is 6 days old at this point.
> >
> > How can I tell MailScanner to process these files?
>
> I note that the number of messages is a multiple of the
> default number of messages per batch (30). Are you sure that
> this isn't a case of a Denial of Service attack?  ie the
> virus scanner has timed out on one of the messages so refuses
> to process the remainder in each batch.  You should see an entry:
>
> 	Virus Scanning: Denial Of Service attack detected!
>
> in the log.

You're correct about the batch size.

I did not see this message in my log files.

I did have messages in my incoming queue that were held up on the TNEF
issue.  Changing that to "ADD" which emptied the queue.  Now there are
no messages in either exim queue.  Only messages in the processing
directory.

> The solution is to upgrade to the latest version of
> MailScanner (see my posting earlier today).

Will the latest version find the orphaned processing directory?

Maybe I'll go back to running from source.  This Debian delay seems to
happen in the summer time.