Orphaned processing directory

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Wed Jul 26 16:43:07 IST 2006

Hi

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Hancock, Scott wrote:

> I have a directory containing 60 files in /var/spool/MailScanner/input
>
> The directory is 6 days old at this point.
>
> How can I tell MailScanner to process these files?
>
> Or can I assume these files have already been processed and the
> directory clean up was missed?
>
> I see in the mail log the incoming event but not the delivery.  I think
> exim would tag another msg ID after MailScanner processing anyway?

I note that the number of messages is a multiple of the default number of
messages per batch (30). Are you sure that this isn't a case of a Denial
of Service attack?  ie the virus scanner has timed out on one of the
messages so refuses to process the remainder in each batch.  You should
see an entry:

	Virus Scanning: Denial Of Service attack detected!

in the log.

The solution is to upgrade to the latest version of MailScanner (see my
posting earlier today).

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service