A quick and easy performance improvement

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:38:48 IST 2006

Chris Hammond wrote:
> I might be a little thick, but what would the reason for this performance increase be the fact the / and /var are seperate partitions?

Essentially, yes.  It really comes down to how far apart on disk the
BayesDB is from the mail queues and MailScanner temp work area.  The
closer things are on disk the less time spent doing disk seek
operations. That's where the benefit comes from.  A disk seek (i.e.
moving the heads over the proper cylinder) is much much slower than any
other operation!

Richard Lynch
Morgantown, WVa