MailScanner, sendmail & SpamAssassian

Golden, James jgolden at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us
Mon Jul 24 22:07:18 IST 2006

I am having some trouble understanding something.  I have been having an
issue with AWL.  I have been trying to reset an individual email's score
and it doesn't seem to work.  In my research I discovered that
MailScanner with sendmail is supposed to run as root (according to the
book).  It also seems that Spamassassin is running as root as well.  On
top of that spamassassin seems to be invoked as spamd.  I emailed this
to the Spamassassin mailing list and someone suggested that I Post it
here.  Is this configuration correct.  Should spamd be running as root.

If that is the way it is supposed to run, why might I not be able to run
this command as root and have it work:

spamassassin  --remove-addr-from-whitelist=joe at somwhere.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.