"I/O error on connection" problem. MailScanner related?

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Jul 20 19:37:14 IST 2006

mikea <mailto:mikea at mikea.ath.cx>
    on Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:11 AM said:

> In my logs, "I/O error on connection" typically has a line soon
> before it with payload something like "collect: premature EOM:
> Connection reset by <foo>". This certainly would indicate that it's
> not you. Are you seeing anything of the sort?"

Interesting. Yes I see these messages. In fact, with a cursory glance
based on my memory of remote server addresses, it looks like almost all
(if not all) the "I/O error on connection" entries have a corresponding
"collect: premature EOM: Connection reset by <foo>" entry.

Why would the remote server reset the connection?

Is there anyway I can manually test if this is an ICMP issue?

Thanks,
Chris.