Norman Sandbox and MailScanner

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Jul 11 15:45:01 IST 2006

Sjakie wrote:
> I use MailScanner with Norman Virus Control.
> Norman has it's Sandbox feature which is able to find virussen not in
> the definition files.
> see: http://sandbox.norman.no/
>
> When i send the eicar test file, MailScanner will detect a virus.
>
> When i send a real virus (Trojan.Brepibot.V) not detected by Norman
> (because for this test i use older definition files),
> but which is detected by Norman Sandbox (as W32/Malware),
> MailScanner does not detect any virus.
MailScanner uses whatever antivirus engine you're using. If it isn't
properly configured or updated, it won't detect it.

Depending on the filename, filetype, and MailScanner's "dangerous
content" settings, it might be blocked (or not), so it all depends on
your setup.

So again, MailScanner doesn't "detect" viruses *per se*, it just reports
what the scanners say and acts upon it according to your wishes.