Splitting a multiple recipient message into individual messages

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Thu Jul 6 09:46:03 IST 2006

Hi

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Stephen Swaney wrote:

> I finally found a few minutes so this has been added to the Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#sendmail_8.13_anti-spam_/
> _denial_of_service_protection_features
>
> I've also added:
>
> "How Split a Multiple Recipient Message in Single Messages" under:
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#misc._questions
>
> I've added the sendmail instructions. If anyone wants to add the Exim method
> to split messages to multiple recipients into individual messages please
> feel free :)

Thanks for these notes.  I see the comment that this may increase the load
significantly on the server as it will have to process more messages.  I
would also imagine that it would have a significant impact on bandwidth as
well, as each recipient's copy of a message would be delivered separately.
That is of much more significance for ourselves than the CPU load as we
are handling traffic for 2500 people on a 64k leased line.  On the other
hand we handle large mailing lists that could involve sending outgoing
mail to over 2000 people, and these lists would collapse if we were to
send each message individually.  What we need therefore is a way of
splitting incoming messages (where the bandwidth issue would not arise
but where we need to be able to apply rulesets individually) but not
outgoing (where we need to conserve bandwidth and where rulesets generally
don't apply).  Do you know how to modify the sendmail local ruleset
accordingly?

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service