MailScanner stopped scanning

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Wed Jul 5 17:52:45 IST 2006

Ed Bruce wrote:
> Drew Marshall wrote:
>> On Wed, July 5, 2006 17:10, Ed Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> I've been reading various threads. Made a couple of changes, not really
>>> paying attention, and noticed that at some point email is no longer
>>> being scanned. So not really sure what I did to muck up my setup. I
>>> basically did three things:
>>>
>>> 1. Installed caching-nameserver and started named daemon.
>>> 2. commented out dcc load module for spamassassin (I currently have
>>> undone this change)
>>> 3. Used CPAN to upgrade a couple of modules
>>>
>> Me thinks this could be the culprit. Have you restarted MailScanner, just
>> in case? If this doesn't work, try again this time in debug mode.
>>
>> Drew
>>

> I get this error in debug:
>
> [root at mail1 root]# MailScanner -debug
> In Debugging mode, not forking...
> no connection to syslog available
>     - _PATH_LOG not available in syslog.h at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Log.pm line 152
> [root at mail1 root]#

Have you changed syslog.h for any reason?

find / -name syslog.h
rpm -qf `the file(s)`
rpm -V "the Output of rpm -qf"

For instance:
"rpm -qf /usr/include/sys/syslog.h" gives me 'glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.19'
"rpm -V glibc-headers" gives me nothing, verifying that the rpm is fine.

Another suggestion in a similar thread was to downgrade sys::syslog to
0.15 (download, untar, perl Makefile.pl, make, make test, make install)

- dhawal