Sending mail to /dev/null without scanning

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 09:56:41 GMT 2006

On 28/01/06, Cameron B. Prince <cplists at princeservices.com> wrote:
> This doesn't really solve it either. You are talking about a list of valid
> users. I don't want to DISCARD their mail. I also don't want to list each
> address I want to DISCARD mail for or maintain two lists of users, one in
> access and another in virtuser.
>
> I think you totally misunderstood my original request.

I think you misunderstand Kens intentions here....  And the viability
of what you are trying to do "in MailScanner/MTA" so to speak.

By accepting the messages, YOU are responsible for them. By
_delivering_ them to a recipient (garbage) Mailscanner will have to
handle them. Sure, you can have a ruleset on "Scan  Messages" or
whatever, but that'll use more resources than just rejecting or
discarding at MTA level.
Having to maintain the two lists would of course be simple with a
little scripting;-).

Note that Discarding a valid message actually breaks RFC-comliance,
while rejecting at MTA (SMTP conversation stage) does not. And the
spamers/smaptools don't actually look at the replies, so you're rather
safe to just reject them... Not to mention that you'll be nice to the
VALID message senders who happen to mistype an address (with your idea
or the DISCARD, they will never know).
And you are NOT generating a "bounce" when you reject a message at
SMTP conversation stage. Any NDN is generated by the SENDING MTA, not
you... since you haven't accepted the message, it isn't your headache
to handle!

(snip)
--
-- Glenn