blank "is" report lines in syslog?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri Jan 27 20:56:43 GMT 2006

DAve wrote:
> If I had someone to just stand behind me and beat me on the head with a
> bat, I could save all this typing, and I would never have to answer the
> phone. The result at the end of my day, would be the same.

Easy.. I'm not meaning to flame you, just pointing out the basic truth..

Validating recipients isn't that hard, even for qmail users.

You're in the same basic place that many mail operators were in when spammers
discovered making use of open relays. At the time open relays were commonly
accepted.

Ditto for router operators when DoS kiddies discovered the smurf technique.

Abuse patterns change over time, your servers need to adapt to avoid being
exploited to abuse others.

This is just another new abuse pattern. Fix it, deal with it. You don't even
need to violate any RFCs or break email to do it. Nobody is telling you to never
send bounces. All you need to do is validate recipients with something like
qmail-ldap.

If you head-in-sand the problem and put up arguments about RFC requirements,
you're going to get blacklisted. You don't have to do that. This isn't very hard
to fix.