winmail.dat

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Jan 26 23:46:56 GMT 2006

Scott Silva wrote:
> Although this "might" be possible, a better alternative would be to
> send a bounce that asks the sender to not use this vendor locked
> format to send mail
> to the rest of the world. Not everyone uses, or has a desire to use,
> Outlook. Outlook should not default to sending in this format.
> Or at least have a warning that the message might not be readable to
> the rest of the world and it might cause nasty e-mails and phone calls

> from the receivers.

That's what I'm currently doing.  Stole the verbage on how to change the
sending format from sender.error.report.txt and pasted it into
sender.content.report.txt.  I turned on postmaster virus notification so
I could see how much of an impact I'm having.  Naturally, the mail
that's coming in is naturally for the mucky-mucks at the top of the food
chain.  And, just as naturally some of the senders are frequent fliers
who either 1) can't read, 2) can't follow directions, or 3) won't follow
directions.

So far I've gotten 9 messages today (out of 4000+ inbound).  Could be
worse I guess...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500