winmail.dat

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Thu Jan 26 22:10:22 GMT 2006

At 04:26 PM 1/26/2006, you wrote:

>Jim Holland wrote:
> > I guess I'll have to stay with the flow and top-post here :-)
>
>Not me.  <g>
>
> > I have long had complaints from users who are unable to open these
> > things called winmail.dat because they aren't using MS Outlook.  So I
> > consider it a plus that they now receive the message with the
> > winmail.dat file removed and a helpful notice in its place . . .
> >
> > It sounds as if some correspondents are having the full message
> > blocked, and not just the attachment.  I assume that this is because
> > they have not set:
> >
> >       Deliver Cleaned Messages = yes
> >
> > in MailScanner.conf
> >
> > Mostly the files don't contain anything important, so can be ignored,
> > but sometimes they do have documents or image files etc which the
> > users do want to receive.  I would consider it a definite plus if
> > there was an option to extract the contents and send them along
> > instead - similar to the "Convert HTML To Text" option already
> > available.
>
>So what do you have in your filename and filetype conf files?  How are
>you filtering the winmail.dat?
>

>...Kevin

Me neither!

The majority of my customers insist on Outlook. I H8 it! I insist I
won't put it on my machine.

I initially started blocking the attachements and then saw that I had
caught three, known valid emails in a matter of hours.

I turned it off. I apologized to the senders and the recipients. I
then described the vulnerability,  told them they had better
religiously apply Microsoft patches every second Tuesday and wished them luck!

I don't know what more you can do?!!! QUIT USING OUTLOOK!

Glenn