winmail.dat

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Thu Jan 26 21:15:16 GMT 2006

I guess I'll have to stay with the flow and top-post here :-)

I have long had complaints from users who are unable to open these things
called winmail.dat because they aren't using MS Outlook.  So I consider it
a plus that they now receive the message with the winmail.dat file removed
and a helpful notice in its place . . .

It sounds as if some correspondents are having the full message blocked,
and not just the attachment.  I assume that this is because they have not
set:

	Deliver Cleaned Messages = yes

in MailScanner.conf

Mostly the files don't contain anything important, so can be ignored, but
sometimes they do have documents or image files etc which the users do
want to receive.  I would consider it a definite plus if there was an
option to extract the contents and send them along instead - similar to
the "Convert HTML To Text" option already available.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service