Sophos sweep and password protected zip files

Ray Gardener R.A.Gardener at shu.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 09:42:18 GMT 2006

Hi,

yesterday, an end user reported that some of his mail was not being
delivered. On inspection the mail was a password protected zip file.
Within our mailscanner setup we have two virus scanners Sophos sweep and
ClamAV.
Sophos was generating reports regarding this which caused mailscanner to
treat this as a virus (mailscanner report shown below) which was then
silently
deleted. Is there an easy was to stop
this happening?

version details:

sophos:
Product version           : 4.00.0
Engine version            : 2.32.5
Virus data version        : 4.00
User interface version    : 2.07.119
Platform                  : Linux/Intel
Released                  : 05 December 2005

mailscanner: version  4.46.2

and within Mailscanner.conf I already have set:

Non-Forging Viruses = Joke/ OF97/ WM97/ W97M/ Zip-Password

mailscanner report starts
The following e-mails were found to have: Virus Detected

<SNIP...>
Quarantine:
     Report: Sophos: Password protected file
./1F1NHK-00083Q-Fe/SHU-fw.zip/whatwasthesecondary.txt
             Sophos: Password protected file
./1F1NHK-00083Q-Fe/SHU-fw.zip/primary.txt
mailscanner report ends

Regards,

Ray Gardener
LITS