weird priblems with server

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Jan 24 14:26:19 GMT 2006

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 24/01/06, Nilesh Shastrakar <nilesh.shastrakar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks everybody for replying me,
>>
>>  I have checked the mailogs but confused I found from address and ctladdr is
>> different
>>  is my server is hacked or its a virus problem on ther server
>>  but I am using Fedora 4, Sendmail, MailScanner and Clamav  how my server
>> infect with virus.
>>  is there easy way to find out what was the problem.
>>

>>  Regards
>>  Nilesh.
>
> Hi Nilesh,
>
> I'm not 100% sure I decipher what you eman correctly... Could you post
> some examples from your log, and possibly some headers too... We'll
> help you try to make sense of them;).
> --
> -- Glenn
> email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
> work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
Chances are...

... your server is not infected.
... your server is not hacked.

So sit down, have a cup of tea, and think serene thoughts.

You have been, more probably by accident than choice, entrusted with the
operation and maintenance of an e-mail server with a number of different
programs that each do its own thing.

The problem you have right now is probably being caused by a simple
configuration error - and is probably very simple to fix.

So please take the time to, at the very least, read through the very
helpful comments on the configuration file
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf". Remember that the "from" address
INSIDE an e-mail message can be different from the "from" address on the
message "envelope". Also remember MailScanner relies on properly
configured tools like SpamAssassin (which you have to enable), and
SpamAssassin relies on tools you also have to configure (and sometimes
enable) properly, such as Razor2, Pyzor and DCC.

So read, read again, rest, and read. The answer will probably jump right
at you. In the meantime, it helps to have examples of what you mean,
especially since you haven't been able to express your problem in a
meaningful way.

--

Alex Neuman van der Hans
N&K Technology Consultants