Worm.VB-8 not detected by filename or filetype

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Wed Jan 18 10:37:44 GMT 2006

Hi Julian

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Julian Field wrote:

> The problem is not one of filenames or filetypes, nor any problem
> with the MIME-tools. That is working fine.
>
> MailScanner correctly extracts the ATTACHMENT.HQX or whatever it was
> called, no problem. The contents of the file is not HQX (Binhex) at
> all, it is uuencoded data. So trying to stop binhex files won't help
> you, that's a red herring.

Agreed.  I was simply working on the basis of the actual filenames that I
saw being used by the worm, as I needed a quick fix to block further
copies getting through.

> What happens if you set filetype.rules.conf to stop "uuencoded" or
> "xxencoded" attachments? I think this should work, I see no reason
> why it wouldn't.

I will also add this restriction - thanks for the suggestion.

> I would try not to block .hqx files by name as you may well upset some
> of your Mac users.
>
> I'll talk to David Skoll some more about possible resolutions for
> this problem.

I think the real solution is to apply the same principle to uuencoded
attachments inside MIME base64 encoding that is currently applied to zip
files - the encapsulation should be removed by extracting whatever is
inside an attachment and the files that are finally extracted/decoded
should then be tested for filename, filetype and also sent for virus
scanning.  More work I do appreciate . . .

Regards

Jim