Worm.VB-8 not detected by filename or filetype

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:46:47 GMT 2006

On 18/01/06, Dhawal Doshy <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com> wrote:
> Martin Hepworth wrote:
> > Jim
> >
> > Another user identified this problem last night on the IRC channel.
> >
> > Looks like the problem is with MIME::Tools perl module. Julian has contacted
> > the maintainer of this module in order to get to fix.
> >
> > In the mean time you might want to see if virustotal.com's list of scanners
> > give any results. When I tried last night with the example given (was a
> > uuencoded .hqx file) clamav and some others didn't spot it either. From
> > memory Sophos, F-prot, Kapersky and a couple of others did...
>
> Bitdefender and mcafee's uvscan seem to catch them well enough.
>
> McAfee: W32/Generic.worm!p2p virus
> Bitdefender: Win32.Worm.P2P.ABM
>
> ClamAV doesn't catch them all.
>
> - dhawal

Thank you Dahwal!
This gave me a real scare... since I'm at home with my broken leg at
least this week... And I don't really trust my collegues to do "the
right thing" if something like this slips through... A really bad
feeling to the stomoch there ...
But since those two get them, I'm good. Phew.

--
-- Glenn