dccfid performance improvement?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Tue Jan 17 16:54:26 GMT 2006

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Fajar wrote:
>
>>One of the suggestion to tune mailscanner by using dccfid, i'm already
>>setup the dcc, and from spamasassin --list seems the dcc workingfine, i
>>saw some connection made from my computer to some host with destination
>>port 6277.
>

> Ok,  how is that related to the subject of your post?

Because dccifd is the other way of handling DCC. Fajar is apparently pointing
out DCC is currently working.

I assume that the subject implies that Fajar is wondering what benefit there is
to adding dccifd, over just plain dcc (which uses dccproc).

Fajar, there's some modest improvement to enabling dccifd. Normally to do a DCC
lookup SpamAssassin invokes dccproc as a new process. However, if dccifd is
running, it will simply pass the message off to dccifd over a socket, without
having to create a new process.

I would say the speed gains are marginal, but then again it doesn't really cost
you anything other than a little ram. (My dccifd has a RSS of 1368 K)

If you run spamassassin --lint -D the debug output will let you see SA checking
for the dccifd socket, and see if it used dccifd or dccproc.