www.tchatche.ci

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Sat Jan 14 20:33:14 GMT 2006

Julian Field writes:

> I am glad to see all the work put in by the translators is getting some
> use, I rarely see it used (being in a mostly English-based country).
>
> Anyone fancy doing an Urdu translation and other Asian languages like
> that? Would be very useful here. One of my friends teaches in a primary
> school where the children have 33 different first languages!

It's more to do with the demand.. it is very very common for quite a few
Indians to speak / write / read / understand 3-4 languages, but businesses
require only english. Though local state govenments do require all
communication in both english and the local state language, there yet isn't
such a demand.. Once the need arises, someone will hopefully oblige :)

The last 7 years or so of being in local email industry, i  have yet to see
a requirement for the local language.. at the same time i see a lot of work
being done on Indian languages, check sarovar.org (the Indian sourceforge)
which tells me to get a second opinion from the local LUGs.

 - dhawal