processing backlog

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 14 12:44:19 GMT 2006

Matt Hampton wrote:
> Doc Schneider wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for me to just have MailScanner handle a huge backlog of
>> e-mails and not accept any new incoming?
>>

> Not a mailscanner function - this is the MTA responsibility.  If it was
> my machine and I was happy of the stability of the primary then I would
> stop the MTA process that is listening for new mail.
>

>> I've got a big mqueue.in full of new mail and MS seems to be only
>> churning through like 20 or so an hour.
>>

> Ouch!
If you are using sendmail, you can move the qf and df files into the
/var/spool/mqueue.in on the fast server to get the backlog cleared quickly.

On a RedHat box, you could easily kill the incoming sendmail with this:
    service MailScanner stop
    service MailScanner startout
    check_MailScanner   <--- Wait a minute before you do this step

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.