Problems with charset gb2312 and mime headers

Jens Ahlin mailing_lists+mailscanner at caleotech.com
Fri Jan 13 08:27:54 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have seen this happen sporadically but with charset ISO8859-1 encoded
subject line. The client is a Outlook 2003 client. This does not happen
often and I cannot se any pattern in the behaviour. I only notice this
when the subject line contains swedish charchters.

Any ideas ?

      Jens

> We have a client who is having a problem with mailscanner/spamassassin that
> I have not seen before. Apparently mailscanner/spamassassin decodes
replaces
> the RFC1522 encoded header if it's in charset gb2312, it doesn't replace
the
> header if the header is encoded with UTF-8 or any other encoding.
>
> Here is a sample
>
> Subject: =?UTF-8?B?57q957qmMTHmnIjljp/msrnmnJ/otKfku7fmoLzov4XpgJ/kuIo=?
=?UTF-8?B?5omsM+e+juWFgw==?
> this is not modified by mailscanner/spamassassin and when you view the
raw source of the email in the mailbox it looks like:

> Subject: =?UTF-8?B?57q957qmMTHmnIjljp/msrnmnJ/otKfku7fmoLzov4XpgJ/kuIo=?
=?UTF-8?B?5omsM+e+juWFgw==?
> which is correct
>
> whereas
>
> =?gb2312?B?xabUvDEx1MLUrdPNxtq79bzbuPHRuMvZyc/R7zPDwNSqIA==?
> is replaced with gobblygook in the raw email by mailscanner/spamassassin
when you view the raw source of the email in the mailbox as: