Thunderbird understanding SpamAssassin

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 14:06:41 GMT 2006

On 12 Jan 2006, at 11:37, John Wilcock wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>> Thunderbird 1.5 has been released.
>> To quote from the help:
>> "Trust junk mail headers set by will automatically recognize mail
>> that is marked by a separate junk mail filtering program. Very
>> often, your ISP or mail server will install such a filtering
>> program, which adds special headers to your email before it is
>> retrieved by Thunderbird. By setting this option, you do not have
>> to create special filters to recognize these. Currently supports:
>> SpamAssassin and SpamPal."
>> What headers is it using?
>> I obviously want to change the default spam actions in MailScanner
>> to generate the headers that it recognises.
>> I have googled for it and can't find anything useful.
>
> You can find out exactly what it's looking for in the
> SpamAssassin.sfd file in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
> \defaults\messenger
>
> Alternatively you can tell people to use a custom definition file
> in their profile folder to teach it about MailScanner's headers.
> See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=276420 for a
> brief explanation.
>
> I've attached my MailScanner.sfd file but of course it needs
> adapting for each user to take account of the %org-name%.
>
> version="8"
> logging="yes"
> name="MailScannerYes"
> enabled="yes"
> type="1"
> action="JunkScore"
> actionValue="100"
> condition="OR (\"X-Tradoc-MailScanner-SpamCheck\",begins with,"spam")"
> name="MailScannerNo"
> enabled="yes"
> type="1"
> action="JunkScore"
> actionValue="0"
> condition="OR (\"X-Tradoc-MailScanner-SpamCheck\",begins with,"not
> spam")"

To save users having to craft their own, the default SpamAssassin one
can be used.
Just use settings like this

Spam Actions = deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
High Scoring Spam Actions = delete
Non Spam Actions = deliver header "X-Spam-Status: No"

in your MailScanner.conf.

Can someone add this to the Wiki please?
- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.