Thunderbird understanding SpamAssassin

John Wilcock john at TRADOC.FR
Thu Jan 12 11:37:00 GMT 2006

Julian Field wrote:
> Thunderbird 1.5 has been released.
>
> To quote from the help:
>
> "Trust junk mail headers set by will automatically recognize mail that
> is marked by a separate junk mail filtering program. Very often, your
> ISP or mail server will install such a filtering program, which adds
> special headers to your email before it is retrieved by Thunderbird. By
> setting this option, you do not have to create special filters to
> recognize these. Currently supports: SpamAssassin and SpamPal."
>
> What headers is it using?
> I obviously want to change the default spam actions in MailScanner to
> generate the headers that it recognises.
>
> I have googled for it and can't find anything useful.

You can find out exactly what it's looking for in the SpamAssassin.sfd
file in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\messenger

Alternatively you can tell people to use a custom definition file in
their profile folder to teach it about MailScanner's headers.
See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=276420 for a brief
explanation.

I've attached my MailScanner.sfd file but of course it needs adapting
for each user to take account of the %org-name%.

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages    - www.tradoc.fr

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]

version="8"
logging="yes"
name="MailScannerYes"
enabled="yes"
type="1"
action="JunkScore"
actionValue="100"
condition="OR (\"X-Tradoc-MailScanner-SpamCheck\",begins with,"spam")"
name="MailScannerNo"
enabled="yes"
type="1"
action="JunkScore"
actionValue="0"
condition="OR (\"X-Tradoc-MailScanner-SpamCheck\",begins with,"not spam")"