MailScanner and SpamAssassin sitewide help!

Craig White craigwhite at AZAPPLE.COM
Thu Jan 12 03:29:06 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 18:56 -0800, Steve Maller wrote:
> OK, I've built and installed MailScanner 4.49 and SpamAssassin 3.1.0
> on a mostly stock Fedora Core 4 box. I'm running Sendmail with a
> bunch of RBLs and TLS enabled.
>
> Email comes through MailScanner, but whatever I do, I do not seem to
> get any mail to go through SpamAssassin. I tried manually starting
> spamd with the -d option.
>
> I have the "Use SpamAssassin" directive enabled, but like I said,
> nothing works.
>
> My intention is to run this site-wide, and I have consulted with the
> various FAQs and nothing seems to work.
>
> Again, email *is* being delivered, but SpamAssassin is never getting used.
----
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index (there is a whole
section on spamassassin on this wiki page but also...)

Post-install
Now your server should accept, process, and route messages properly.
Time to set back and relax? Nah, not yetâ^À¦

     1. Read carefully the config file (MailScanner.conf) and define
        what settings you need to change to comply with your needs
     2. Test for spam and viruses
     3. Make sure everything is installed and configured to your best
        knowledge before testing.
     4. Test mailscanner in debug mode frequently
     5. You can test Spamassassin using the command spamassassin -D â^À^Ó
        lint -p /path/to/your/prefs/file (on a regular redhat system:
        spamassassin -D â^À^Ólint
        -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf )
     6. To test spam, make a gtube go through MailScanner
     7. To test the anti-virus, make the eicar test virus go through
        MailScanner
     8. To test your whole mail setup try GFI Email Security Testing
        Zone
     9. Determine which SpamAssassin plugins you want to install and
        install them
    10. See optimization tips below
    11. See FSL's support page, youâ^À^Ùll find many tools to help you
    12. Read the MailScanner Manual or, even better, Buy the book! and
        support MailScannerâ^À^Ùs development.
    13. Ask questions on the mailing list if needed.

what do you get when you run...

spamassassin -D --lint -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

did you?

service sendmail stop
chkconfig sendmail off
service MailScanner start
chkconfig MailScanner on

and another thought comes to mind...you can set...

Always Include SpamAssassin Report = no

to yes to see what is working

Craig