problem with queues

Harondel J. Sibble mailscanner at PDSCC.COM
Wed Jan 11 20:15:37 GMT 2006

Okay, got an mail relay box with an older version of MS on it. It's been
pretty much happily running for a couple years now, planning an upgrade to
the latest version later this month.

System is running Mandrake 9.x and using postfix for the mta in the dual
queue mode.

The long and short of it, is that the queues appear to be backed up with lots
of crap.  If I rename the queue dirs under /var/spool/postfix/defer and
deferred and same under postfix.in and create new dirs, mail is flowing fine
both in and out.  The largest amount of mail is under the postfix.in
subdirectories. The following is an example of one of the mesasges, all the
ones I looked at so far look like this. It was all one long line in the queue
file, I've edited it and added hard returns to hopefully have this display
properly

    C/           1143             320               1T
    1136943998S^Sdalma2 at katamail.comA&client_name=sonicwall.internal-lan-
    address.netA^\cli
    ent_address=10.10.10.1A8message_origin=sonicwall.internal-lan-
    address.net[192.168.1
    68.1]A^Nhelo_name=mailA^Rprotocol_name=SMTPO^Rinfo at eredirocca.itR^Rinfo at eredir
    occa.itW^O              0M^O           1463N at Received: from mail
    (sonicwall.internal-lan-address.net [10.10.10.1])N9       by
    mailscan.mailrelay.company.net
    (Postfix) with SMTP id F423A207FD9N@      for <info at eredirocca.it>; Tue, 10
    Jan 2006 20:46:37 -0500 (EST)N'Reply-To: "Dalma" <dalma2 at katamail.com>N#From:

    "Dalma" <dalma2 at katamail.com>N^XTo: <info at eredirocca.it>N&Subject: Risparmia
    benzina fino al 25%N%Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:55:28 +0100N^QMIME-Version:
    1.0N^YContent-Type: text/plain;N^S
    charset="us-ascii"N^_Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bitN^MX-Priority:
    3N^YX-MSMail-Priority: NormalN#X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook ExpressN8X-
    MimeOLE:
    Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106N;Message-Id:
    <20060111014638.F423A207FD9 at mailscan.mailrelay.company.net>N^@N^@NGCon il
    nuovo FuelSaver
    la tua auto consumera' fino al 25% di carburanteNLin meno.Adatta a tutti i
    modelli di auto,camion,scooter,furgoni,ecc.Benzina,N.diesel o gpl e di
    semplicissima installazione.N^N* Meno consumiN^R* Maggiore potenzaNQPer
    vedere
    il FuelSaver,come funziona e i risultati dei test ufficiali clicca
    su:NBhttp://fuelsaver2006.iscool.net/ o su
    http://www.fuelsaver2006.tkN^@NKGaranzia 2 anni.14 giorni per provarlo di
    persona.Soddisfatti o rimborsati!N^@X^@r^@e^Sdalma2 at katamail.comE^@

I am not quite sure what to make of this, Client has a Fortigate FG60
firewall and I did a mime block on the dalma2 at katamail.com address (both to
and from fields) and then the firewall showed the emails being blocked, but
connections every second from 82.56.160.243, so I set that ip address to
reject in the logs. So the queues don't seem to be accumulating any more of
this junk, however the onsite admin was concerned that there may be
legitimate in and outbound emails still in the queues, what do folks suggest
as the best way to get rid of all these junk mails from the queue but still
allow any good mail to be delivered.

In one of the subqueue dirs alone "F" there is about 15 messages.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting