Bayes expire file problems

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 18:10:41 GMT 2006

The mail load on the machine would make a difference. If the bayes
rebuild completed while no mail happened to come in, nothing would be
competing for the lock on the db file. A busier machine would have
several competing processes trying to lock it.

Steve Campbell wrote:

> Thanks Julian,
>
> As I said, I would upgrade as soon as possible, and I did remember all
> the posts and problems that were around for a while.
>
> I had this problem licked once, with your help. I still don't
> understand how two machines that are essentially identical can behave
> so differently. This is what I'd really like to figure out about this
> problem.
>
> Could there be an issue with email volume that contributes to this?
> The machine that fails (by filling up the root partition) has
> considerably more traffic than the one that doesn't.
>
> I realize this is an old issue with such an old version, so if
> everyone feels like letting it fade away, I totally understand. I just
> don't know, though, when I can upgrade. No one wants to let me have
> the machines, we're 24/7 here except for Sundays, and I'm not allowed
> to have overtime.
>
> Anyway, thanks again.
>
> Steve Campbell
> campbell at cnpapers.com
> Charleston Newspapers
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Julian Field"
> <MailScanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>

>>> spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>>> check_mailscanner
>>> update_virus_scanners
>>> clean.quarantine
>>> mailscanner-mrtg.crond
>>> mailscanner-mrtg.cfg
>>> mailscanner-mrtg.conf
>>>
>>> Both machines' files are identical, with the exceptions of what is
>>> not pertinent to expiry. There is no files in the
>>> root's .spamassassin directory.
>>>
>>> What have I missed this time? I know some of the above files are
>>> not related, but figured I check anyway.
>>>
>>> BTW version is 4.36.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking it's related to mailscanner-mrtg, but just can't seem
>>> to find the problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone who cares to throw mud at me for asking this for the 2
>>> trillionth time, and offer the obvious solution that I'm not
>>> seeing, please have at it.
>>

>> - -- Julian Field
>> www.MailScanner.info
>> Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

>> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
>> the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

Julian Field

believed to be clean.