#!/bin/bash

Spicer, Kevin KevinS at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Jan 11 14:20:45 GMT 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 04:10:51 +0000 Julian Field
<mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> I entirely agree with you. I will have to go through the scripts that

> have this and try to check that they don't have any bash-isms that I
> know of. The only one that springs to mind is
> 	export VARIABLE=value
> which I will need to change to
> 	VARIABLE=value
> 	export VARIABLE
>
> What else should I be looking for? I tend to write for whatever
> version of sh happens to be on the system I'm writing on at the time.

> Bad practice, I know :-(

I always get bitten by

if [ "X$something" == "something" ]; then

which works fine on bash, but sh only wants a single =

BMRB wins two BMRA awards - http://www.bmrb.co.uk
reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB Limited accepts no liability
in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which
does not directly relate to our business.