Hard Lock

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 8 04:09:11 GMT 2006

On 06/01/06, Information Services <lbcadmin at gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)
>  clamav-0.87

Update cöam asap.
(snip)

>  First,
>
>  When I reboot the systems, it takes about 20 minutes before the login
> screen appears. I am able to shell into the systems themselves and work on
> them, but I would like to resolve why they don't bring the login screen up
> right away after the boot process. The GUI either sets at the blank screen
> with the black curser outlined in white and is an 'X' symbol, or at the
> progress bar at 100 percent until it finally shows the login screen.

Assuming you are referring to a graphical logon screen, this is
usually a display manager for X.... Which in turn usually means that
extreme slowness is due to a network misconfiguration. Having no valid
name lookup (in /etc/hosts) for the loopback IF address usually has
this effect... So check that all names (including loopback) resolve as
they should. If you have it configured for a X font sever, check that
it is running, and that you have no network issues in reaching it.

>  Issue 2:
>
>  I have been havin problems with both servers locking up. One server more
> than the other.

(snip)
Nothing jumps out and grabs ones attention.... So suspect the usual
things: HW and kernel. One is easy to change.... so why not try your
hand on doing a "custom kernel";-). since both machines are more or
less of an age, and fairly similar in makeup..... shoddy drivers come
to mind, as well as diverse age-related cr*p.

--
-- Glenn