4.49.7-1 process name feature keeps adding processes

Michael Masse mrm at MEDICINE.WISC.EDU
Fri Jan 6 21:42:26 GMT 2006

Using the 4.49.7-1 rpm install on a RHEL3 system.
My max processes setting is set to 5 and PS shows I have 5
"mailScanner" master waiting for children, sleeping" lines and a bunch
of
"MailScanner: waiting for messages" lines.

System seems to be working fine.

The problem is that the number "MailScanner:waiting for messages"
processes are increasing linearly with time with no relavance to load.
 Mailscanner-mrtg shows a linear graph of these processes increasing in
a very straight line..    Essentially every hour on the hour 5 more of
these processes are added to the running total regardless of load.
I've been paranoid about this so I've been restarting MailScanner about
once a day since I noticed this because I don't know if it will stop
creating new processes before running out of ram, and I really don't
want to find out the hard way.         A look at PS after a day or so of
MS running makes unfiltered PS very hard to read with the hundred+
waiting for messages entries.  Is this something I should be concerned
with?  Will the number of these processes eventually cap out at a safe
level before running out of ram?

Mike