MailScanner ANNOUNCE: Stable 4.49 released -- faster!

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT
Thu Jan 5 10:21:46 GMT 2006

Julian Field wrote:

>On 5 Jan 2006, at 09:18, Rabellino Sergio wrote:
>

>>shuttlebox wrote:
>>

>>>On 1/4/06, *Rabellino Sergio* <rabellino at di.unito.it
>>><mailto:rabellino at di.unito.it>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    We've sendmail 8.13.3, with mcafee/clamav/sa ona Solaris 9 /4-
>>>cpu/
>>>    Sun-Fire-V440.
>>>
>>>    I changed only the release of MS, without changing any
>>>configuration
>>>    parameter; the cpu load average
>>>    has changed from 2.5/3 to 1.2/1.6.
>>>
>>>    It seems to be really faster than previous MS.
>>>

>>>Have you looked at the delay times in the logs from Sendmail? Do
>>>you see a similar decrease there?
>>>
>>>--
>>>

>>I've investigated in the syslog, but the delay is strictly
>>connected to the batch delay, so I do not understand how I can see
>>a real speed-up if most of the delay is directly accountable  to
>>the batch waiting.
>>(maybe i'm wrong)
>>

>Sorry, but I think you are. There is no "batch waiting" delay. That
>would have been silly. When a child worker process looks at the queue
>(each child does it every second or so, and there are lots of
>children running) it always takes whatever complete messages are
>there, regardless of the fact that there may only be 1.
>- --

Received !

I've checked the logs :  the delay is substantially unchanged, the
values are between 25-40 secs (I've 2 viruses check, so i'm expecting a
delay, but this is too high ??).

Bye.

--
Dott. Mag. Sergio Rabellino