OT: Use of MailScanner code for extracting attachments

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Wed Jan 4 12:36:22 GMT 2006

Hi Julian

Happy New Year to you, and thanks once more for your most appreciated work.

We here in Zimbabwe are still offering FidoNet protocols to around 2500 of
our users.  Our Fido server delivers files in binary form to our users
separately from the actual messages.  We currently use a Perl script to
handle attachments, and it in turn calls metamail for the actual MIME
decoding.  This is not very elegant or reliable, and I am looking for a
better way of decoding attachments - such as that used by MailScanner.
It is a shame to see all the work that MailScanner does to decode messages
only for us to then have to go through that process all over again before
we can deliver the attachments to our Fido users.

Sadly I am not a Perl expert - just a hacker who can develop scripts at a
far lower level of complexity - so I find your code beyond my
understanding.  However if you were able to simply point me in the right
direction - eg which packages are needed, where is the point of entry
where a message is passed to those packages, and any other brief
suggestions - I should be able to take it from there with a little help
from another Perl enthusiast here.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service