Mail Server OS Choices

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Tue Jan 3 16:35:55 GMT 2006

Ryan Pitt wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Happy New Year!
> We are in the process of upgrading our mail server and are just not sure
> which OS to go with.
> We are currently running with Fedora but they seem to upgrade way to
> often for a production server.
> Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Ryan Pitt

Are you looking at an alternative to fedora? if yes, centos is a great
choice.

a. based on rhel4 srpms and hence uses rpms
b. mailscanner installs and upgrades are a breeze
c. supports sendmail, postfix and exim out of the box
d. easy to update and yum is quite fast as well
e. tonnes of good repositories (including fedora extras) are available
f. good track record (so far)
g. a large and growing community
h. a committed 5 year life (may extend to 7)

The only downside being a small delay in security updates, which are
launched only after redhat has released the updated srpms (obviously).

other free and not so free options exist namely:
rhel4
whitebox or tao (more rhel4 clones)
freebsd
debian
opensuse (also my current desktop and the distro to watch out for)
suse 10 (the paid option)
distrowatch.com lists tonnes others

You need to choose the one you are most comfortable with, rest will fall
into place automagically.

- dhawal