Mail Server OS Choices

Pentland G. G.Pentland at SOTON.AC.UK
Tue Jan 3 16:19:02 GMT 2006

>> Happy New Year!

And the same to you...

>> We are in the process of upgrading our mail server and are just not
>> sure which OS to go with. We are currently running with Fedora but
>> they seem to upgrade way to often for a production server.
>> Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated.

We are currently sendmail 8.13.x on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 (AS) on
our production kit but...

As with most things, THE single most important thing to consider is what
do YOU know how to use.  I may suggest any one of a dozen platforms for
various reasons but if your sysadmin only knows how to use IRIX or
something then use that!

The same goes for MTA as well.  I will always go for sendmail but that
is because I know it and trust it!

thats my 2c anyway...

Gary