Question about Spam and Virus Checks.

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Tue Jan 3 15:55:41 GMT 2006

Michael H. Martel wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I've got a question about how MailScanner handles Spam Scoring and Anti
> Virus Checks. We're running MailScanner 4.48.4 on RedHat Linux 7.3
> (MailScanner -v output below).
>
> I believe that Spam checks are done before the Anti virus checks yes ?
>
> I've got the folowing settings.
>
>     Required SpamAssassin Score = 5
>     High SpamAssassin Score = 10
>
> I've got my Spam Actions" set to:
>
>     Spam Actions = /opt/VSC-MailScanner/rules/spam.actions.rules
>
> Where the spam.action.rules file contains :
>
>     To:     default         store deliver
>
> I've also set "High Scoring Spam Actions" :
>
>     High Scoring Spam Actions =
> /opt/VSC-MailScanner/rules/high.scoring.spam.actions.rules
>
> Where the high.scoring.spam.actions.rules file contains :
>
>     To:    default                  store
>

> For completeness, I have "Non Spam Actions" set to :
>
>     Non Spam Actions = deliver
>

> I've been seeing messages come in that are a virus, with an infected
> file, but they are tagged as high scoring spam (>10) .  So it looks like
> MailScanner never scans them for viruses because they're stored.  Is
> that how it's supposed to work ?

Yes.. anything that is not delivered is not checked for viruses.. 2 ways
around this.
a. Set forwarding for high spam to a local account aliased to "dev/null"
b. See the "Keep Spam And MCP Archive Clean" option in MailScanner.conf

- dhawal