Building new server - best practice?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Mon Feb 20 12:27:45 GMT 2006

Chris Yuzik wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
>> * Choice of MTA (I usually go with Sendmail)
> I have decided to go with Sendmail.
Good for you... lots of info out there.
>> * Choice of POP3/IMAP (I usually go with dovecot)
> Dovecot is up and running. :-)
Good. You might want to implement SSL if you haven't already.
>> * If MTA = Sendmail, what milters (SPF, clamav, DomainKeys, greylisting)
> Other than clam, I'm not familiar with these. Any idea where I can
> read up on them?
Read up on milters at the sendmail site or google around.
SPF - http://openspf.org/, http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/mail/
DomainKeys - http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dk-milter/
ClamAV - Look for info at the clamav site, and compile clamav with
./configure --enable-milter (reqs. sendmail-devel)
Greylisting - http://hcpnet.free.fr/milter-greylist/

>> * Pyzor
> Last update to Pyzor was apparently in 2002. Is it still relevant?
Yes. Pyzor may have been last updated 2002, but it does the job, when it
*does* find messages known to it to be spam.
>> * F-Prot? BitDefender?
> Going with Clamav and Bitdefender, I think.
>> * Archiving
>> * Rules Du Jour?
> What's the consensus as to which ones are must-have rules?
Whatever works for you ;)

--

Alex Neuman van der Hans
N&K Technology Consultants