Upgrading from 4.37 (I know, I know, it's OLD)

Diane Rolland drolland at kdinet.com
Sun Feb 19 21:45:10 GMT 2006

Julian Field wrote:
> Diane Rolland wrote:
>> I want to upgrade my older MailScanner version to (probably) the
>> latest stable.
>>
> New stable version due out on the 1st of Feb, wait until then as you
> really do want the new features in 4.50.
>>
>> I would be using the rpm installation for RedHat.  So, normally, I'm
>> comfortable with that type of upgrade.
>>
>> My concern is that since my version is SO old, is there anything I
>> need to look out for in upgrading to the latest?  I'm using pretty
>> standard rulesets (whitelist, blacklist, archive, non.spam.actions).
>>
> Don't forget about running upgrade_languages_conf and
> upgrade_MailScanner_conf.
>
> Once you have 4.50 installed, you can run MailScanner --lint to
> syntax check your configuration.

OK; after being on another project for a couple weeks, I'm back to attempt
this upgrade.  I have the latest version 4.50.15-1.

I am just a bit confused on manually editing the .rpmnew files and running
the upgrade_mailcanner_conf and upgrade_language_conf.

I've manually edited the .rpmnew files to include my custom configs.  I then
renamed the .rpmnew files to the regular file names.

When I got to run the upgrade script, I'm getting:
Usage:

RPM
===
If you are using the RPM distributions then try this:

cd /etc/MailScanner
upgrade_MailScanner_conf MailScanner.conf MailScanner.conf.rpmnew >
MailScanner.new
mv -f MailScanner.conf MailScanner.old
mv -f MailScanner.new  MailScanner.conf

TAR
===
If you are using the tar distribution so that the old version is in
/opt/MailScanner and the new one is in /opt/MailScanner.new then:

cd /opt/MailScanner.new/etc
../bin/upgrade_MailScanner_conf /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
/opt/MailScanner.new/etc/MailScanner.conf > MailScanner.new
mv -f MailScanner.conf MailScanner.old
mv -f MailScanner.new  MailScanner.conf

NOTE
====
To keep your old comments in your original file, add "--keep-comments"
to the command line.  Note that this will mean you don't get to find
out any extra new values you might be able to use in existing "improved"
Configuration options.

So, I'm not sure where I need to be right now; I think I've screwed it up
somewhere...

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Diane