Slightly OT: switching from Postfix to Sendmail

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Feb 18 19:39:38 GMT 2006

John Jolet wrote:

> On 2/6/06 11:19 PM, "smlists at masoncomputing.com"
> <smlists at masoncomputing.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi all. I've been running MailScanner/Mailwatch with Postfix on
>     Fedora Core (now at 4) for quite a while now, and it's been great.
>     However, I want to switch to Sendmail. I'm pretty sure I can find
>     most of the settings in MailScanner.conf, and the Fedora
>     system-switch-mail command should keep the rest of the system
>     happy. That said, I'm a Netware/Windows guy, and not what I'd call
>     an experienced Linux guy.
>     Is there anything I'm forgetting, or any gotchas I should know
>     about before I go ahead?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Steve

>     I AM an experienced linux/unix guy. This is a bit of a religios
>     thing, but you really don’t want to switch from postfix to
>     sendmail without a VERY compelling reason. ESPECIALLY if you’re
>     not an experienced unix guy.
>
>     That said, when I switched from sendmail to postfix with that
>     command, it failed to remove sendmail from the default runlevel
>     start, and failed to put postfix in. just make sure the correct
>     mta is running.

So long as you have MTA = sendmail in MailScanner.conf, it will pick up
the right one (if you are on Linux) automatically. Make sure you have
done a
chkconfig sendmail off
chkconfig postfix off
as you want to leave MailScanner to start all the required
postfix/sendmail processes for you.

On my own MX's I have just had to
rm /etc/init.d/sendmail
as while I was away one of my guys accidentally started sendmail with a
service sendmail start which made it bypass MailScanner altogether. By
deleting that file they have no way of "nicely" starting sendmail on its
own at all, so that they are forced to use "service MailScanner start"
to get it going properly.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.