File Attachment Blocking

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Feb 18 13:48:13 GMT 2006

Hey Andrew,
Have you tried a separate rule for allowed.user2 at domain2.com.au, and change the *@domain2.com.au to be more specific.  As it is *@domain2.com.au addresses everyone at domain2.com.au.
If you can apply rules based on groups (e.g names in a listing) then this may be a better way having allowed.user2 as a exception in a group that is allowed while *@domain.com.au would handle everyone else.

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE, CCNA
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
Resellers for: Novell Gold Partner, Cisco Partner, Peopletelecom, Westnet, Sophos Anti-Virus, CA Products

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> Andrew at abit-wa.com.au 1:24:42 pm 10/02/2006 >>>

Hello,

We have a system at several sites where we have a the default list of attachments that are blocked and a list of email addresses that are allowed to send and receive the blocked attachments.

This works well except when you want to play with multiple domains on the one server.

Relevant config files...

MailScanner.conf....
%rules-dir% = /etc/MailScanner/rules
Filetype Rules = %rules-dir%/filetype.rules
Filename Rules = %rules-dir%/filename.rules

/etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.rules
##Group 1 has not media attachments Group 2 is allowed PICS
ToOrFrom:       allowed.user at domain.com.au              /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
ToOrFrom:       allowed.user2 at domain2.com.au            /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
ToOrFrom:       *@domain2.com.au                       /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.2.conf
ToOrFrom:       default         /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.group1.conf

Same in /etc/MailScanner/rules/filetype.rules but for filename.rules.conf

In this setup the allowed.user2 at domain2.com.au is being overrided by *.domain2.com.au * is there a way to overcome this?
Other than putting every email address in the file!!!

Regards,

Andrew Barbara