Convert HTML Question

Greg Rowe greg at rowes.org
Wed Feb 15 18:12:22 GMT 2006

Greetings,
 I have an existing MailScanner installation running as a gateway for
multiple domains into backend mail servers. Current version is 4.45.4, but
planning to upgrade to 4.50.15 this weekend. One new domain that the
MailScanner systems accepts mail for gets relayed to a vendor paging service
after processing. The paging service can only accept pure text messages and
rejects any message containing MIME or HTML. Unfortunately a large number of
the people sending to this domain are on OutLook and use HTML by default.
The paging service also returns a meaningless error message to the sender if
it encounters HTML or MIME tags.

 Using the Convert HTML To Text rule in MailScanner works great for messages
destined to that domain to strip the HTML, but the MIME tags are still
contained in the message, and message body text is repeated:

 > ------_=_NextPart_001_01C63248.6B567FBD
 >
 > This is a test page
 >
 > ------_=_NextPart_001_01C63248.6B567FBD
 >
 > This is a test page
 >
 > ------_=_NextPart_001_01C63248.6B567FBD--

Any ideas as far as a best solution to stripping out all the MIME and HTML
and being left with just the message body text ?

Thanks,
Greg