More 4.50.15 woes on FreeBSD - Update

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Feb 13 04:18:09 GMT 2006

TCIS List Acct wrote:

> I guess my next step is to upgrade to Perl 5.8.8, as that seemed to be
> the only difference between your setup and mine.  What version of exim
> are you running?

Ok, I was able to get some time today to experiment.  I took an existing 4.47.4
  box and removed all Perl packages, Perl itself, exim, etc and started with
fresh installs of everything.  I installed Perl 5.8.7 from ports (which was the
latest available), as well as exim 4.60 and its associated programs.  I then
used the ./install.sh script from the MailScanner distribution to install all of
the correct/up to date Perl packages and MailScanner 4.50.15 itself, and
downloaded the .tar.gz of SpamAssassin 3.1.0 and did a perl Makefile.PL style
install.  Any missing Perl modules (e.g. Net::DNS) were then installed via CPAN.
  Long story short, this has made no difference on the problem I am having --
after an hour or so, MailScanner spirals out of control and chews up all RAM on
the box, leaving it totally dead.  I've tried:

- Disabling various virus scanners (I normally use mcafee, f-prot, and kaspersky)
- Disabling Hyperthreading via the BIOS (I've heard HT sometimes causes problems)
- Disabling the new SA cache feature
- Messing with the number of child processes (the box is 2 x 2.8GHz Xeon, I've
used 5-10 child processes at various times)
- Messing with the Queue scan interval
- Removing all custom rulesets (mostly from SARE) from /etc/mail/spamassassin
- Turning on debug mode for both MailScanner and SpamAssassin

Nothing seems to help the situation.  I can reproduce the problem across 4
different boxes, and simply changing the symlink back to 4.47.4 fixes the
problem, so the problem _must_ be something that has changed between 4.47.4 and
4.5.15.  The boxes are all under moderate load (I can get specific figures if
needed) and have never had a problem with any previous MailScanner version.

Julian, where do we go from here?  I really don't want to be stuck on 4.47.4
forever.

Mike Bacher / listacct at tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
http://www.tulsaconnect.com